MARCUS L. CARTER, M. D. Combining those rare attributes which go to make up the successful professional man, financier and politician, Marcus L. Carter, M. D., of Thompsonville, Illinois, is one of the leading men of his section, where he has been in continuous practice for a period of more than thirty years. During this time he has become widely known in his profession, has forwarded the business and financial interests of his community by his activity in these fields, and has wielded a wide influence in public matters, although he has been a director rather than a mere office seeker. Dr. Carter is one of the self-made men of Franklin county, and from a humble start has worked his way to the front ranks of the successful business men of this part of the state. Born near Lebanon, Wilson county, Tennessee, July 5, 1848, he is a son of Henry and Nancy (Williams) Carter.
Charles Carter, the grandfather of Marcus L., was a native of England, who came to this country during Colonial days, entered Washington's army in the struggle for American independence, and served through the Revolutionary war. At the close of that conflict he removed to Virginia, where he took up land and became a slaveholder, but eventually turned Abolitionist and set his slaves free. His son, Henry Carter, was born in Virginia, March 12, 1812, and in young manhood moved to Tennessee. There he resided until forced to take his family from that state, in 1857, on account of his views as to the Civil war, when he settled in Kentucky, where he resided until 1864. He had served in the Union army for two years, until wounded at Paducah, when he received his honorable discharge. In 1869 Mr. Carter moved to Williamson county and engaged in farming until his removal to Franklin county some time prior to his death, which occurred in 1890. He became a well-to-do and influential citizen, and was the owner of three hundred acres of fine land. Henry Carter married Nancy Williams, who was born in eastern Tennessee, in 1819, and whose father, a soldier under Jackson during the war of 1812, and later a farmer, moved to Wilson county and there died.
Marcus L. Carter received his early education in Kentucky and Illinois,
and after leaving the common schools began the study of medicine. He took his first term in the University of Louisville, Kentucky, and finally graduated at Evansville, Indiana, in 1878, although at that time he had been engaged in practice in Williamson county for seven years. Dr. Carter came to Thompsonville in 1880, and here he has continued to serve as an alleviator of the ills of mankind ever since. His practice now covers a part of four counties, but he has found time to interest himself in other matters, being the owner of an excellent farm of three hundred acres and a director and stockholder in the Thompsonville State Bank. His work as a physician has been characterized by faithful study, and he holds membership in the Franklin County Medical Society. A prominent Mason, Dr. Carter has been treasurer of his lodge for many years, and he also has connected himself with the Modern Woodmen of America. In political matters he is a Republican and a hard and active worker in the ranks, attending various conventions and doing everything in his power to advance the interests of his party. Starting in life a poor boy, without advantages either of a financial or educational nature, Dr. Carter educated himself, worked hard and has eventually won success. The esteem and respect in which he is held is well merited, and is due him not only as a successful professional man, a business man of more than ordinary ability and a citizen who has been the architect of his own fortunes, but as a friend and advisor and one who is ever ready to assist those who have been less fortunate than he.
On June 29, 1879, Dr. Carter was married to Miss Henrietta Lynch, daughter of William H. Lynch, who was born in Virginia and came later to Illinois, where his death occurred. Two children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Carter: Dexter, who is engaged in managing his father's farm; and Dollie, who married Douglas Plasters, a merchant of Thompsonville. The family is connected with the Methodist Episcopal church, and the Doctor and his wife are well known in church and charitable work.